Monday, March 29, 2010

Jesus Loves Me . . .This I know

Do you remember the great lyrics of our childhood: "Father Abraham," "B-i-b-l-e," "This Little Light of Mine," "Oh Be Careful Little Eyes," and of course "Jesus Loves Me"? We can all sing them now, right? (I promise that I won't embed a podcast of me singing these childhood favorites-I respect you too much). But, have you just listened to the lyrics--I mean really listened? What great theology, what great practical, authentic living is found in these simple, refreshing lyrics. Case in point: "Jesus Loves Me." Watch the following video--but listen to the words (and sing along if you want to).



Jesus loves me, this I know, for the bible tells me so. These simple lyrics tell me that I can have confidence in the Love my Savior has for me; you can be confident as well. How do we know? How can we be confident? How can we be sure? The Word who became flesh tells us so. Christ tells Nicodemus, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:16, NASB). The word "world" connotes inclusivity. The word "so" emphasizes the depth, the extent, the intensity of His love. And the word "whoever" indicates those who are "called" for His purpose.

But what does all this mean? I am afraid that John 3:16 has become trite and overly used and many believers have truly lost its significance and its power and its relevance to living a genuine, authentic faith. For God so loved . . . 1 John 4:16 says, "God is Love". 1 John 3:1 reads, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God" (NIV, emphasis added). And Paul writes in Ephesians, "so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ." (17-18, NIV, emphasis added). God deeply and profoundly loves you and me. To see this graphically displayed we only have to look toward Calvary. The horizontal cross beam reflecting His expansive love, and the vertical beam reflecting His holiness--a beautiful balance. "One reaches out--like God's Love. the other reaches up--as does His holiness. The cross is the intersection where God forgave His children without lowering His standards" (Max Lucado, He Chose the Nails, 113). Are you as overwhelmed with this picture, as I am? Listen to the lyrics by Wes King:

The width of two arms outstretched on a tree
The length of the road to Calvary
The height of the crown on a cruel cross
The depth of the pain is the cost
All for you, all for me
All for love did He bleed
All to set us free
My prayer for you is that you would know

"Width," "length," "height," "depth," "All"--Wow, how magnificent, yet humbling. David Jeremiah in his book Signs of Life tells the account of when he and his wife were in London and visited St. Paul’s Cathedral and observed a life-sized marble of Jesus Christ. He describes it as an “ugly and disturbing image--a sculpture of Christ writhing in anguish. Beneath it were the words, “This is how God love the world.” He did that just for you and me: the torture, the mocking, the beatings, the ridicule, the piercing. The message? Inclusion, not exclusion. Puritan writer Richard Baxter used to say, "If God had said there was mercy for Richard Baxter, I am so vile a sinner that I would have thought He meant some other Richard Baxter. When He said "whoever" in John 3:16, I know that includes me, the worst of all Richard Baxters there ever was" (quoted in Ira David Sankey, My Life and the Story of the Gospel Hymns). Aren't we glad that scripture doesn't proclaim, "For God so loved the loveable . . . for God so loved the wealthy . . . for God so loved the politicians . . . for God so loved the healthy . . . for God so loved the skinny. . . for God so loved the athlete. . . for God so loved the celebrity. John 3:16 emphatically declares, Christ's love is inclusive. As Max Lucado states in He Chose the Nails, the promise of the Cross is, "I will love you forever." God's love is indeed limitless.

So, what does God's love mean to me (and you)?

God's love gives me assurance of my eternal home.
God's love gives me security that death and sin have been defeated.
God's love gives me power to overcome sin's hold on my life.
God's love gives me patience.
God's love gives me ability to love others, even the unlovable.
God's love gives me confidence to withstand temptation.
God's love gives me a right perspective, a kingdom perspective
God's love gives me wisdom to know that His grace is sufficient.
God's love gives me a thirst and hunger for His Word.
God's love gives me discernment to meet a need.
God's love gives me passion for the lost.
God's love gives me hope in face of trials.
God's love gives me desire to lead my family spiritually.
God's love gives me faith to walk where Christ leads me, even down the paths that don't make sense.
God's love gives me strength to obey Him and keep His commands.
God's love gives me refuge in times of fear and questioning.
God's love gives me the steadfastness to walk humbly with Him.
God's love gives me the power to desire and worship Him with praise and thanksgiving.

In short, God's love surrounds me and keeps me, just as He surrounds and keeps you.

"For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes, And I have walked in Your truth . . . .That I may proclaim thanksgiving And declare all Your wonders" (Psalm 26:3,7 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment